You probably won't be surprised to learn that even though the markets are currently closed, we've been busy over here at Sugar Creek Farm. The 2013 growing season has been planned, seeds have been ordered and it seems like packages appear on our doorstep every day! We have started a lot of our transplants and the seedling house is almost full. All of this reminds us that the beginning of our market season is not as far away as it feels, and we want to make sure to keep you informed of all that is going on around the farm.
This season, our Friday hours for the on-farm pickup will still be from 4-6pm. On Saturdays we will be attending two markets in Winston-Salem: The Old Salem Cobblestone Market and the Dixie Classic Farmers Market. We've been making other exciting changes, too.
- We will not be attending a Tuesday market in Winston-Salem and as a result will not be able to do home delivery. We decided to concentrate our efforts on Friday's on-farm pick-up and Saturday's markets.
- We have expanded our growing area to allow us to grow more produce.
- Our perennial section, which we started a couple of years ago, should produce its first harvest of asparagus, rhubarb and hopefully a small number of figs.
- We have changed our hoophouse plan so that this year we will be able to offer leaf lettuce and arugula in the summer by using a shade cloth.
- We are focusing on improving the quantity and variety for our late summer and early fall produce. We are planting more melons and winter squash, and also starting our fall favorites in July so that October will be a month of plenty!